Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Right to Vote…and Complain

This morning I waited in line to vote in the U.S. mid-term elections…and waited. And waited some more.

Three of the five voting machines broke down before I arrived and the line felt never-ending. But unlike the woman in front of me, I stayed calm. I wasn’t in a particular rush to get to work and, as a rational person, I understood that these things happen.

On the other hand, the woman ahead of me turned down a paper ballot to wait until she was at the front of the line to start complaining loudly that the volunteers should have prepared better for such an occurrence.

Really?? Sometimes I wonder about people.

Granted I still get road rage occasionally, but that is within the privacy of my own car. I don’t publicize my irrational behavior for all to see…unless I’m on the phone with family at the time and then they get to bear witness.

Perhaps this woman didn’t realize that she is lucky to even have the opportunity to stand in line and cast her vote. Hopefully she gets a clue someday.

As for me? I took my time voting and proudly displayed my “I Voted” sticker all day at work!

Well-worn and proud of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment