Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Quote of the Day

“We must always have old memories and young hopes.” - Houssaye

One of my best friends recently moved into her first home and has been slowly settling in. And from the looks of her Facebook account, the last box she unpacked was full of photo albums. Having known her for over twenty years now, I had the “good fortune” (read with much sarcasm) to be featured in quite a few of them.

But while I at first was horrified that cyberspace would be graced with these incredibly unattractive pictures of myself, I have come to relish in reliving those moments. I sometimes yearn for the innocence and ease of childhood, having of course forgotten all the drama of adolescence. And if I didn’t have to revisit the horrifying trifecta of sporting a boy cut, glasses and braces all at the same time, I’d go back in a heartbeat.

But there were plenty of tough lessons learned over the last twenty years to make me appreciate where I am at this moment. I feel more confident and self-assured in my 30’s than I have at any other age.

This quote reminds me to hold my memories close to my heart while relishing in the fact that my past has pushed me to this point – where I am full of hope and energy to take that next big step.

No comments:

Post a Comment