Thursday, September 9, 2010

Can I Will It To Be Windy?

Over the holiday weekend, I tried my hand at windsurfing for the second time.

I was excited to get back out on the water and even woke up bright and early in order to take advantage of a promising wind forecast. Unfortunately, the morning wind gave way to sporadic breezes by the time we were ready to go.

Is it possible I’m a weather jinx?

Who knows, but it may have been a good thing because I wasn’t actually ready to start surfing away. I was pretty rusty since our first class so I used the time to practice the basics - over and over and over again.

But whereas, I was proud of myself the first time around for getting the hang of it fairly quickly…I started to get frustrated with myself over not seeing more improvement this time around.

Being a perfectionist by trade, I expect a lot out of myself. But sometimes practice makes perfect and I have to give myself some slack if I am still learning how to do something.

So the message learned this past Sunday was about patience, self-determination and never giving up on myself. And I am happy to report that I didn’t - though I did take a few necessary breaks to regroup mentally.

Seems like there’s a life lesson in there somewhere…

No comments:

Post a Comment