Tuesday, August 23, 2011

An Unexpected Day

Today the nation’s capital experienced something pretty unexpected and rare in these parts…an earthquake!

At about 2pm this afternoon, a 5.8 magnitude earthquake originated in Mineral, Virginia about 90 miles from DC and where I work outside the city.

Originally hailing from California, I remember running earthquake drills in school but none of the quakes I ever experienced back then were that powerful and I was never truly scared – being either too young or naïve to understand what was going on in the first place.

But as an adult, I can readily admit that I was a bit shaken by the one today. Fortunately, we are blessed by the reports of minimal damage and no injuries.

But it makes me wonder if DC is really the weather bubble that I thought it was?! In the past 18 months, we’ve experienced a blizzard that dropped 40 inches of snow, a snowstorm that shut down the city, the hottest summer on record and now the second strongest earthquake in recorded history (for our area). Oh and Hurricane Irene is headed to the east coast this weekend!

So I don’t know about you, but it really makes me want to live life to the fullest…and kiss my kitties even more!

I hope everyone in blog-land is happy and safe tonight!


No comments:

Post a Comment