Thursday, January 20, 2011

Life Doesn’t Wait for a Chaperone

Have you ever put off doing something until you had someone to do it with…even if you were fully capable of doing said activity alone?

I definitely have a tendency to do that and I’m not sure if it’s something engrained in my head by society or if it’s because I’m a twin and used to always having somebody to do everything with.

In the past I’ve put off taking rock-climbing classes, dance lessons and going to the gym on occasion because I didn’t have somebody to go with me.

But that’s starting to not be okay with me anymore. This past year has created a habit out of activity and I’m not content with pushing things aside any longer.

So going forward I’m no longer going to let others dictate what I do or don’t do. And I already made one baby step in that direction tonight when I went to the gym alone!

That’s not to say that I’ve never gone by myself before, but I’ve noticed that I’ve gotten a bit lazy in the past few months and if my friend and sister can’t make our weekly workout, then I usually take the easy road out and stay home.

But tonight I went it alone and it felt great! Not only was I more focused than usual, but I also didn’t feel like I had to rush through my workout in order to be ready when they were done.

It’s a great feeling of independence to take control over what you want to do and not let anyone (or the lack of someone) stand in your way!


What opportunity or experience have you put off because you didn’t want to go it alone?

No comments:

Post a Comment