Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Is Cheap Gas Worth Embarrassment?

Apparently, it is…because tonight my GasBuddy app did me wrong, big time!

You see, in my quest for the cheapest possible gas I have started to use the GasBuddy app on my iPhone, which reports on gas prices in your local area so you can shop around for the best deal. While I won’t go way out of my way to save a few bucks, I have started to frequent the stations that don’t gouge the prices as bad as others (i.e. Exxon).

So, you know I was super excited tonight to find out that the cheapest gas in my area was not too far off from my normal commute! I quickly clicked “get directions” and became so engrossed with finding my way that it didn’t click that I was being prompted to take exits to Fort Myer until it was too late.

Yup, I didn’t realize until I was on the exit ramp that I had taken a Fort Myer ONLY exit…that dropped me right at the army base’s guard post.

Fortunately for me, it all happened so quickly that I had no time for my face to register my extreme embarrassment and turn bright red. Instead, I calmly mentioned that I had taken the wrong exit (hoping this happened all the time) and politely asked if I could do a quick u-turn.

The guard was very nice and directed me on how to exit, but on my way out I was forced to drive through an inspection tent…where I had to explain to another guard what had happened.

Oh, the humiliation! Why oh why would somebody have tagged a gas station located on an army base? Seriously people!

The Moral? Saving money is important, but be wary of no-name gas stations…you never know where you’ll end up!


No comments:

Post a Comment