Thursday, December 2, 2010

Inanimate Objects Are My Friends: Homage to My First Car

Ever since I was a little girl, I‘ve always had a strong connection with my belongings.

Case in point: while I innately knew that my stuffed animals weren’t real, I still believed that they had feelings. Therefore I was always careful not to pile them on top of each other (because that was disrespectful…and they couldn’t breathe) and I would rotate them often so none of them felt left out.

As I grew up and slowly moved the stuffed animals from my bed, I simply transferred my bond with inanimate objects to more grown up things…like my first car.

I can still remember the day I picked it up like it was yesterday because it was such a momentous event. See up until that point I had always fought for the use of the family car with my twin sister and the ‘sharing’ went on for four long years until we each bought our first cars.

And just like us they were also identical!

The cars were 1997 Nissan Altima’s that we bought used in 2000 and the only real difference was their color. Hers was black with a light fabric interior and mine was silver with a gray faux leather interior and a kick ass spoiler.

Over the years that car became a member of my family. It was with me when I graduated college. It helped me move home and then four more times since. It drove me on my first day to my first real job and hauled me back and forth long distance to see my boyfriend when we were living two hours apart for many years.

So I felt like a traitor when I recently had to say good-bye to my car after ten years of love and loyalty. But I couldn’t justify spending any more money to keep it safe when its value didn’t warrant the expensive repairs.

If only I lived in a house with a yard. I would have put that baby up on blocks and gazed on it adoringly forever!


Always loved

2 comments:

  1. Awh...I feel the same way about my car. I don't know how I'm going to let it go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why let it go? You have a yard...I say park it on a couple of cinder blocks and call it a day :)

    Isn't it funny how cars can become part of the family? I wish I could keep them all in a tiny car museum :)

    ReplyDelete