Sunday, June 6, 2010

I Wake Early for Good Causes

Over twenty-five years ago, Nancy Brinker watched her sister Susan G. Komen struggle to beat cancer. As Susan neared the end of her fight, Nancy “promised her sister she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever.”i That promise has evolved into a $1.5 billion source of nonprofit funds dedicated to the global fight against breast cancer.

Yesterday, I joined 40,000 people downtown to take part in the 21st annual Susan G. Komen Global Race for the Cure®. It was the fourth year that I have walked for the cure and again I was touched to see the survivors walking in their bright pink t-shirts and the young and old walking in celebration or memory of their family and friends who had fought the fight.

I count myself blessed that I don’t have anyone to walk in memory of, but I am still impacted nonetheless. Seeing tens of thousands of people come together to support one cause is an amazing sight, especially when you consider that it was the culmination of one woman’s promise.

Which made me think. I am also one woman and I have already made a promise to myself…to better my own life and the lives of others through awareness and philanthropy.

I wonder what I can accomplish in twenty-five years?

No comments:

Post a Comment